Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A little introduction

Where to start?  I grew up in the 70's & 80's and saw the world making much more sense than I see it today.  Simpler times, common sense values, hard work, fair play and rule of law were instilled into everyday life.  In the current world those aspects of the life I grew up with have been vilified - Common sense values are seen as too judgmental, hard work is for people too stupid to get a government handout, fair play is for chumps who cannot figure out how to cheat the game, rule of law is trumped by a good attorney and the ability to keep the collected jury IQ below room temperature.

OK, I've done it - exposed the fact that I grew up to be a conservative.  I am sure that many out there would consider that to be a birth defect just as much as I would consider spaying or neutering a suitable way of controlling the liberal population.

As a child, we always had livestock - Chickens, geese, hogs and cattle.  All of this on a half acre of land.  My grandparents owned a 4 acre farm with milk cows and made a living selling hogs.  All of this meant that as the youngest grandson, I would loose my teenage summers to working for someone.  Later in life my mother mentioned that we lived below the poverty line but I can't say that I remember things being too bad.  We had a freezer full of beef and we ate steak 5 or more days a week.  Between productive gardens and local farmers we always had fresh fruit and veggies.

The backyard micro-farm (garden and chickens) is my attempt to regain some of the flavor of my younger life.  I've had a garden for the last three years and chickens for the last two years.  Having fresh eggs on the weekends, collected from my own hens is really a pleasure.


In my blog I will try to stay the course and keep to just my own backyard but I'm not making any promises.  Especially during election season.

No comments:

Post a Comment